Tuesday 14 May 2013

My Favourite Snack

Once autumnal weather hits and the cooler, crisper nights emerge, my trusty old crock pot becomes a staple on the kitchen bench.  Slow cooked meals are a hit at our house.  I love them because I can prepare the meal before going to work and leave it to bubble away and work its magic all day long.  The thought of coming home to a delicious, wholesome meal for the family to share is my idea of happiness.

However, lately I have discovered the versatility of the crock pot.  I love the thought of making snacks, desserts and cakes in the cooker.  Exciting!  Anyway a couple of weeks ago I made the most delicious Cinnamon Almonds in the crock pot.  They were delicious and were gobbled up quick smart by many guests that we have had over lately.  I really enjoyed them too but I am not a sweet tooth so I decided to tweak the recipe and this is what i came up with...

Cinnamon, Paprika and Rosemary Almonds

  • 4 cups of raw almonds
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 1/2 tabs vanilla
  • 1 tab sea salt
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tab cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tab smokey paprika
  • 2 tabs finely chopped fresh rosemary
How to
  1. Spray the crock pot with olive oil or cooking spray
  2. Blend salt, sugar, paprika, cinnamon and rosemary in a medium bowl
  3. Beat egg whites and vanilla in a separate bowl until white and frothy
  4. Stir egg mixture and herbs together
  5. Add almonds and stir until they are coated with the egg mixture
  6. Add the almonds to the crock pot and cook on a low setting for approx. 3-4 hours.  Stir every 40-50 minutes so they do not stick or clump together.
  7. Cool on a baking tray and break up any almond clumps.
  8. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment