Monday 30 July 2012

The Yummiest Apple Cake

Yesterday I was going through my recipe folder when I came across this great recipe.  It goes way back to my teaching days in the early 90's.  I remember that we would celebrate birthdays and special occasions with morning teas prepared by a staff member.  You knew that the food was a hit if someone asked for a recipe.  I distinctly remember this cake.  It was made by one of the kindergarten teachers.  It was so moist and it begged me to devour every crumb.  There were no leftovers!

Apple Cake

1 cup sugar
100g of butter
1 egg
2 cups shredded raw apples (I used Fuji Apples)
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1.  Shred apples (skins and all) in a small bowl and set aside. 

2.  In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. 
3.  Add egg and beat well. 
4.  Add remaining ingredients, including shredded apple; mixing on low just until everything is well combined. 
5.  Bake in a greased 20cm/8" square pan at 180'C for 35 to 40 minutes.
6.   Serve and enjoy!