Tuesday 8 May 2012

Orangette

While we were in the US I purchased A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg.  Molly is also the author of Orangette.  A blog that I frequent weekly.

If you haven't read this book and love to cook, you should add this to your list.  It is a memoir filled with family experiences while also being immersed in the language of cookery and food.  I love when you read a book and you end up with many dog eared pages.  I marked twelve recipes on my first read.

One recipe I did mark was Dutch Baby Pancakes.  As soon as I got home, the kids and I made them.  They were delish!  They're not light on the butter but once in a while you have to enjoy a treat, right? I'm hoping to get some Dutch Baby Pancakes on Mother's Day...I hope that you're reading this, Martin!
Dutch Baby Pancakes

For the pancakes:
8 Tbs unsalted butter
8 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup light milk

For the topping:
100g melted butter 
Juice of 1 lemon
Icing Sugar

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius. 
  2. Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat
  3. In a blender, whir together the eggs, flour, and milk
  4. Pour the batter into the skillets over the melted butter. 
  5. Slide the skillets into the oven, and bake for 25 minutes.
  6. Remove the puffed pancakes from the oven
  7. Transfer them to a plate or shallow bowl
  8. Pour on melted butter, sprinkle on lemon juice, and dust with powdered sugar. 
  9. Serve immediately.
YUMMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment