Thursday 3 May 2012

On Exercise


Okay, I have NEVER been an athlete by any stretch of the imagination.  In fact, when I was at school and teams were being picked, I was never the first, second, third...okay, maybe I was sometimes the last chosen.  I did ballet and dance through most of my childhood and into my teens and the occasional game of netball but that was it.



Now that I have the kids and am in my 40's, I am committed more than ever to look after myself, not just for me, but for the kids...for the future.  I have been running for about 10 years now.  I am not a super star runner and that is not my focus, but I enjoy it and my day feels right when I have done a few kilometres.   




A friend recently asked why I feel the need to run so I got thinking...why do I do it?  
This is what I came up with


Why I Feel The Need to Run 

1.  It puts things in perspective

~When I run I go into a trance.  I almost meditate as I go along my way.  Things that are worrying me are thought through in an unclouded mind.  Everyday challenges seem so minor.  It is a therapy all on its own.


2.  I want to set a good example for the kids

~I hope to be a positive role model for them.  My parents have always exercised - my Dad was a runner and played squash and my Mum taught ballet and dance.  Watching them inspired me to look after my body and my mind and I hope I can do that with my kids, too

3.  I want to maintain good  health

~As I watch my parents grow older I can see that their positive attitude to exercise and well being has enabled them to enjoy life to the full (my dad has had both of his knees replaced because of old football and cricket injuries but it hasn't stop him getting out and about in his garden).  They can still travel the world (they are currently in Spain and Portugal) and also to remain incredibly independent.  I want that too.  

4.  I want to keep up with the kids

~I want to ride bikes with them, play running games and have the energy to keep up with their pace.  They are getting fast as they get older!

5.  I want to fit into the clothes in my cupboard
~Being short (I am only 4ft 11" or 150cm) so if I put on even a few kilograms it shows.  I put on some weight when we were in the US and I need to get it off.  
6.  I want to enjoy treats without feeling guilty
~When I run, in general, I can eat mostly what I want and maintain a healthy weight.  I can put on weight easily but when I run my weight fluctuates a lot less.
7.  It's cheap
~Not only is it cheap but it's simple too.  When I run daily, the only person I am challenging is myself.
8.  It is 'ME' time.
~Self explanatory!
Do you exercise? 
How do you stay motivated?

No comments:

Post a Comment