Tuesday 1 May 2012

My Kindred Spirit

All of my grandparents hold a special place in my heart.  However, I have always felt a special bond with my Mama (my maternal grandmother).  You see, it was from her that I got my love of a home/handmade life - of crocheting, knitting, sewing, embroidering, home baking and general crafting.  She always had time to show me how to do a certain stitch, create what I felt I needed and if it wasn't right, she taught me how to start all over again until it was perfect.

In my opinion, she was so glamorous and sophisticated.  She was a true country lady, born and bred in Wagga, Wagga, NSW.  Although my family had a farm, she lived in the town and spent many hours cooking for the shearers and those working on the property.  She also made the best cup of tea and scones around for the constant stream of visitors.  We always sat down to eat at her immaculately set dining table and of course, we had to have our best manners at all times.
(Mama with baby Patrick.  Sorry about the grainy photo I scanned it from the original)

I feel so blessed to have spent many school holidays with her and my Gi-Gi (my grandfather).  I feel incredibly grateful that she got to meet Patrick and know his little ways.  Unfortunately she passed away before Grace was born but I know that she would be proud of my girl - maybe she has embedded a love of craft and sewing in her too.

Sometimes I look down at my hands and I see my Mama in action -  guiding me and my creative spirit.  The melody of her voice still rings in my ears, telling me to redo something or singing praise when I create something of beauty.  I feel so grateful to have such a beautiful kindred spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment