There are two teams when it comes to these biscuits - crunchy vs chewy! In our house it's a unanimous decision - crunchy is the winner. To make them the perfect crunch, I bake them for an extra 5-10 minutes and add a little extra golden syrup (1 tablespoon) than the recipe asks for. So, if you like them chewy follow the recipe as listed below.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 125g butter
- 2 Tablespoons golden syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon bi-carbonate soda
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees celcuis.
- Combine the oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and golden syrup.
- Stir gentle over a low heat until melted.
- Mix the bi-carb soda with the boiling water.
- Add the bi-carb soda mix to the melted butter mixture.
- Stir the butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Place teaspoonfuls of mixture on lightly greased oven trays
- Cook in oven for 20 mins
- Cool on a wire rack.
Add an extra tablespoon of golden syrup for a crunchier texture
Cook for 5 – 10 mins longer for crispy crunchy Anzacs.
The kids LOVE these in their school lunch box and Martin and I devour them with a cup of tea.