Tuesday 13 March 2012

Missing My Boy

This week my boy is at camp - abseiling, bushwalking, trail bike riding, chatting by a campfire, gazing at the stars and spending time with his school mates.  You know I don't think there is anything more beautiful, or inspiring than children being with nature and spending time with their friends, their mates.  I just hope that he feels free - free of mind, free of spirit - free to enjoy this special adventure.

As much as I am excited for him, I am missing him a lot.  You see this is the first time that I have ever been away from him.  He has spent a night here or there at a friends or at his grandparents but not four days in a row.  He said that he didn't sleep well last night because he had mixed feelings of excitement and nerves.  When I told him that I felt the same, I think he felt relieved almost knowing that his feelings are perfectly normal.

Last night Martin and I wrote a letter to him.  It was so lovely to give them to him before tucking him into bed.  He laughed and laughed at Martin's (Daddy's can get away with writing things about bodily functions and bathing or lack of) but when he read mine, he gave me a huge hug.  
Laughing at Martin's letter
Reading the letter from me
 
Look at him wheeling in his big bag to school. 

We are all on the countdown to Friday.  
As we left the school this morning and hugged him goodbye,  
Grace said "I miss Brother  already!"  
Me too, beautiful girl.  Me, too
Roll on Friday!

A copy of the letter that I wrote to him

12 March 2012
Dear Patrick,
I am writing this letter to you on the eve of your first school camp.  It’s the first time that we’ve been away from each other for more than one night.  I know that I will miss you but I also know that you will have a fabulous time.  I feel incredibly lucky to have a son like you and the special relationship that we share.  You are such a bright spot in my life.
At 10 years of age and on the precipice of your first camp and extended time away from home.  Here are a few things I want you to remember.
  • Have fun, stay safe and be good
  • Enjoy the time with your new school mates.  Try to make at least one new friend everyday
  • When you’re not sure about something, pause before you act, look before you leap but then follow your gut
  • Appreciate the outdoors, the sun, the stars, the clean air, your friends, your teachers
  • Find magic in the simple everyday things
  • Be happy - smile
  • Find humour in the absurd
  • Listen to your teachers and camp supervisor.  Remember that they are giving up their time to make your camp special.
  • If you have a cloudless night, go outside look at the stars and remember that you're looking at the same stars as Daddy, Gracie and I
  • If you make a mistake, remember to say sorry and reverse course if necessary.
  • Be proud of what you achieve.
  • Remember snippets of each day so you can come home and share with us all the fun that you had
You know that we’ll miss you while you’re away but we’ll be eagerly waiting to hear about your adventures when you return on Friday.
I love you, Patrick!
Love,
Mum xxx

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Gab, if mine made you cry, Martin's would make you laugh. Daddy's can get away with writing crazy, silly stuff that boys love.

      Delete